Monday 26 February 2018


Sunday 25th February

SHE SAID:

Since arriving here in South Africa we have been interested in the facts of the country; for instance there are many more provinces now than when I lived here in the late 1980's.  Transvaal doesn't even exist now, and the Orange Free State is now just the Free State! Johannesburg, Joburg or Jozi is over 1700 m above sea level, way higher than we expected.
The very high level of "fortification" of the houses everywhere was quite a surprise. I don't have any strong memories of this, but I guess it was like that when I was last here.
We have experienced several Uber trips now; all have been good, very quick to arrive, friendly drivers and it is easy to use.
Today we had maybe an hour walking around the President Ridge Bird Sanctuary seeing a few African birds, then it was on to Blanford Manor for lunch with Nina. 
She is my aunt's sister who has lived in South Africa since 1970. I had met up with her several times when I was living in Pretoria in a "previous" life.
We had an almost 3 hour lunch, with plenty to talk about. It was a lovely afternoon with a short rain shower which had us dashing into the main building from the lawns where we were eating lunch.


Me with Geoff & Nina

Egyptian Goose

Me in the gardens of Blandford Manor -
Where we met Nina for lunch

Geoff checking out Blandford Manor

Weaver bird nest

Red Bishop seen at the
President Ridge Bird Sanctuary 


Helmeted Guineafowl

Go-away-bird or Grey Loerie

Nina & me

Masked Weaver


Hadeda Ibis

Blandford Manor


Creek that runs through Blandford
Manor grounds

HE SAID:


Pretty much everything is new to me, so I gawped at everything.


Lunch with Nina was very nice. We'll be meeting up again on our return to Joburg.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.