Thursday 10 August 2017

Tuesday 8th August 2017

SHE SAID:

I persuaded Geoff to come out for the day with me on an orchid hunt. I was pretty certain that we would find terrestrial orchids, as I had seen signs of them before in the area that I wanted to go to.

We found them straight away: lots of Northern Sun Orchids & quite a few Pink Fingers. Higher up in the Herberton Ranges we also found what I think is the Common / Hairy Jewel Orchid, but it wasn't quite at the flowering stage. I'm hoping we can return late next week & find some flowering.

We continued the 4WD trip across the Herberton Range Ridge Road and into Atherton. Then it was back to Djarawong in the late afternoon.

 Caladenia carnea - Pink Fingers


Side on
Size of one of the flowers - this one was especially big


Northern Sun Orchid - Thelymitra queenslandica



Whole Plant - Northern Sun Orchid


Hairy Jewel Orchid
HE SAID:

It was a good day out. I like heading off bush sometimes, and spotting orchids for Varena can be fun when I actually find some. Today I found some!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.