Saturday 20 April 2024

Friday 19th April 2024

 Friday 19th April

SHE SAID:

We did the Hop on Hop off bus around Rome today. I knew the areas I wanted to go, as I was here in the late 1980’s & remembered some of the spots that my friend Sue & I went to. Back then we hired bikes! Yes, me on a bike, cycling in Rome; I can’t quite believe I did that. No way would I do it today, though.

The crowds & traffic are mad now, & it isn’t even peak season!

As we usually do, we did the complete bus circuit so we could decide where to get off & walk around. Our walking location was from Piazza Venezia, on to the Pantheon, then lunch at a tiny pizzeria in a side street away from the “madding crowds”. Onwards for Piazza Navona, then the Trevi Fountain, & finally the Spanish Steps. There were about a 100 plus stops along this route for other piazzas, fountains, old churches, buildings etc, too numerous to mention (and of course I don’t know the names of most of them!).

Our walk ended with a cuppa & Tiramisu before we caught the bus back to Termini & our accommodation. We did half the kms of yesterday, but still felt knackered on our return to the apartment.


Piazza Venezia
The Ugly Building



Pantheon



Pizzeria for lunch



His religious clothes & theirs!
A tree lined street!
Another Church
Circus Maximus (Roman chariot racing circuit)




Trevi Fountain
Spanish Steps




HE SAID:

Another full day of exploring Rome. Around every corner is some ancient thing, and all are interesting in their own way. The crowds were just crazy, with so many people crammed in everywhere. Coming here in summer would be horrible, with even more people, and all them being hot and sweaty!

Our little lunch spot gave us a nice break, and the pizza was very enjoyable.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.